Monday, September 2, 2013

A Reckless #Actofhope

On Friday, when sharing my Ten Things About Me, I told my students that one of my favorite  things to write about is my experience as a teacher. Saying it aloud to each of my four classes really left me with no choice but to stick to my word and return to my blog.


So here I am...


Each week, I hope to share a glimpse into my 7th grade ELA classroom. I hope to share a glimpse into the mind of a first year teacher. I hope to share a glimpse of a reckless #actofhope.


I know it’s not going to be easy. I know I will always have papers to read, emails to write, students to conference with, PD to attend, clothes to wash, and groceries to buy. But taking time to write and reflect will make me a better teacher. I have so much to learn and I want this blog to be a place to record that learning.


I've debated changing the name of my blog to reflect my new role as professional grown up - and the fact that there isn't a chalkboard to be found at my school - but I can’t seem to part with it. “Pencils and Chalk Dust” was the name of an essay I wrote in sixth grade about one of my favorite teachers. The name reminds me of the person I admired so much, with a pencil always tucked in her bun and chalk dust smudged on her hands after a lesson about Robert Frost. It reminds me that being a teacher is about being a person to my students. One who is interesting and interested. Who models kindness and curiosity. Who smiles so much that her students ask, “Why do you smile so much?” (Yep, that happened.)


And there are lots more smiles to come. I decided that I want to start homeroom with a joke of the day. I couldn't have been happier when students called dibs on bringing in corny laughs to share with their classmates.


What did one plate say to the other?
The food’s on me.


And I couldn't help but chuckle as a student oh-so-proudly shared in her Ten Things About Me that, when she was younger, she pretended to be a mermaid with a pillowcase on her legs.


I can’t wait to learn more about my students.


I can’t wait to read and write alongside them.


I can’t wait to see how they grow as people.

It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon...and with my team of friends and family and colleagues beside me, I am ready for the journey ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment