Thursday, December 11, 2014

Gender Lenses

Today I introduced the idea of lenses - gender lenses in particular -  as a way to analyze media and other texts. I was inspired by some articles in Rethinking Popular Culture and Media (thanks Dr. Bogad!) and broke my students into (mixed-gender) groups and told them a phrase, either "act like a lady" or "man up."

This was their launch into a word splash about what society says it means to be a girl/lady/woman/female or boy/guy/man/male. Some got right to work listing off common stereotypes while others had a more difficult time. I couldn't tell if it was just a few of my male students being their usual goofy selves or if the question really did make them uncomfortable, but these boys did have a much harder time being serious and naming these societal norms.

I definitely have some more observations to do. But for now, here they are, telling it like it is...


I'm really excited to see how this section of the unit is going to progress and I hope to document as much of it as I can here!


No comments:

Post a Comment