Sunday, September 13, 2015

What's up with Quinn?

Like Ms. Asile, I immediately noticed the loud, expressive, active boy named Quinn. My mind quickly compared him to other students I have had in the past who have displayed similar behaviors - some of the students that I struggle the most with. As a teacher, the growing volume of his song and the disaster of peanut butter on the table would have left me embarrassed in front of these visitors to my classroom. For years, I have learned - classically and officially - that students should not act that way in a classroom, especially if the teacher is talking to another important adult.

But Bill has a different perspective. Though his squinted mouth and head scratch in the bottom panel of page 17 reveal some uncertainty, it is clear that he approaches Quinn with an asset-based lens.


Bill names Quinn’s activity as “youthful exuberance” (p. 16) and realizes that “he’s just putting things together in his own way” (p. 17).

So what is Quinn learning?

Depends on who you ask.


Ms. Asile would say that Quinn isn’t learning anything. She even goes so far as to send a note home that says Quinn is “hypoactive disordered” (p. 30), which she believes is already interfering  with his ability to succeed in school. From her perspective, she must help new teachers identify those students who seem to be struggling and give them the help that they need.

On the other hand, Bill would say that Quinn is learning so much. From Bill’s perspective, Quinn has learned that he is an artist (p. 14), that he has an important role in the classroom as plant waterer (p. 27), that he is a leader in fort making (p. 28), and that he has learned the importance of taking responsibility when an accident happens (p. 30). Bill, like Frank Smith, believes that kids are always learning. Rather than seek outside help and alphabet soup labels from Ms. Asile, Bill says, “the answers lie in the students’ hands. We must look unblinkingly at the way children really are and struggle to make sense of everything we see in order to teach them” (p.26). Rather than giving students anything, we need to see what they already have.  


This reading was a reminder that what we see depends on how we look at things. Our assessment of a student is colored by the lens that we use. Does Quinn fit the diagnosis of someone with ADD? Probably. In fact, Ms. Asile is probably really good at identifying kids who would be labeled as having learning disorders. That’s the lens she is using. That’s the perspective she is coming from. However, as Frank Smith and Bill would point out, that’s not the only way of looking at students. Bill says that “while working together, we need to learn to see each other as fully as possible” (p. 27)

My immediate reaction to Quinn shows that I need to continue to be aware of the way my perspective and experience affect my approach to a situation. I grew up as a much more reserved kid. I sat quietly at my desk, raised my hand if I had a question, and always did what I was told. I have a hard time working with those students who are/were most unlike me - the ones push back against “doing school.” While I don’t think that description quite fits Quinn, I do know I would have to work hard to figure out what works for him. I know I would have to find ways to use his energy for good and ensure that I was not (unintentionally) punishing his creative spirit. I'm excited for this case study as a way to see what the students are learning rather than what they are not, and seeing each one as fully as possible.

And here is an quick, interesting video by Derek Sivers, reminding us about some of the assumptions we fail to realize we have...


3 comments:

  1. Great video Brittany! I loved the dis-equilibrium that the addresses can throw us into. I also love the map! I wonder what my students would think if I handed them a map with south on the top of the map? I also was draw right into Quinn's story, and I think of my interactions with my 6th grade class that can't seem to stop humming, singing, tapping, just making noise! It was driving me a bit crazy today, but maybe I should flip it upside down, and think about it as a way of them expressing their youthful exuberance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,
    I love the Marty Rubin quote you use here. The more I think about teaching and really life in general, the more I am reminded of perspective. The way we see each of our students is most definitely different than their parents, or their siblings, or their coaches, or even their other teachers see them. So, what do we do with our awareness that perspective exists?? I think, like you say, we need to be aware of what shapes our perspective-for instance what type of people we are and what we are trying to accomplish. But there is more to it than that. I think if we can try and step back from ourselves and realize that what we see is somewhat real, somewhat inference, somewhat skewed, we can understand our students as real living complex human beings--not simply our version of that reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, your Marty Rubin quote pulls me right back to our first class this semester when we put together the Zoom book, and then "read" the original Zoom. Each picture captures part of a story, but (much like the graphic novel) it is the movement in between the pictures that tells another story. Our perspective of our students is so narrow and limited that it is impossible to know much more about them than what we are told...how do we get the bigger picture, and how do we know which pieces of their stories to zoom in on?

    ReplyDelete