Sunday, November 11, 2012

Quote Sandwiches, Tone, Focus Statements, Oh My!


A few semesters ago when I was placed at Feinstein Middle School for an MLED course, I wrote a Learning Log about all the new teacher words I was hearing. RTI, motivators, ALC, PLATO, handicapping conditions, credit recovery, homework block, and Talon Tickets. There were so many all at once! Like a nerd, I wrote them all down so that I could ask my cooperating teacher, Ms. Bettez, for more information or look them up on my own.

As I sat in Ms. Ballard’s 8th grade class this week, I was reminded again of all the terminology that floats around the school. This time, I paid closer attention to the ELA content words like graphic organizer, quote sandwich, compare, contrast, informational text, tone, and focus statement that popped up in nearly every sentence Ms. Ballard spoke. Unlike the teacher words from a few semesters ago, I felt confident with Ms. Ballard’s words.

But what about the students?

I’ve been reading and writing this stuff for 22 years. Ms. Ballard’s students are only 12.

When I was confused during my observations for MLED, it was important for me to know what the heck the teachers were talking about. I knew that I learn best when I write things down and seek answers, so I did just that. Most middle schoolers, however, don’t necessarily have that same self-discipline or self-awareness. They are in the process of developing it. Also, I felt comfortable asking Ms. Bettez for help because she exuded energy and warmth. Her quick smiles and reassuring words made me feel safe.

The students in Ms. Ballard’s class didn’t seem too confused with the writing they were doing because the concepts were not new. Nevertheless, hearing all these buzz words reminded me of the importance of teaching metacognitive skills and creating a safe environment. Knowing how you learn doesn’t necessarily happen miraculously. Reflection can help this. And classrooms aren’t safe just because they have four walls and a roof. A teacher must build a trusting relationship with her students.

I’m excited to watch how Ms. Ballard does this and then try it out myself…

1 comment:

  1. Britt, I love that you're noticing there is a particular discourse at ASFMS. The key is that the teachers in the different teams and grade levels use the same language so the kids learn to internalize it. It'll be interesting to see how they do this, and how many times these terms need repeating.

    ReplyDelete