Thursday, November 1, 2012

Reflecting on Reflection

Though most of what I describe in my previous post, “They Shared! Now What?” emerges from both our observed lesson and the rest of our experience with Creative Writing, there’s more from Observation Day (yes, capital “O” and capital “D”) that I’d like to share . . .

As Katie and I sat in the library, planning our Observation Day lesson, we thought that we had too much going on and would barely have time for the students to write, never mind share. After all, we were hooking them with two songs, reading several paragraphs aloud, ranking the readings with partners, having them match the readings with specific strategies, modeling the writing process, and then finally devoting the “few” remaining minutes to writing and sharing. We thought we had packed the class period like an over-stuffed suitcase.

When the students began writing with 30 minutes to go, I worried a little. This wasn’t supposed to be happening for another ten or fifteen minutes!

I pushed my anxieties aside while working one-on-one with the students and even temporarily forgot about the time, as I usually do when I tutor at the Writing Center. I was in the zone. Then, when Katie and I made eye-contact, we realized that we had to decide how much time to devote to sharing the drafts that the student’s had just written. With the confusion of my watch being too fast and the classroom clock being too slow, unfortunately we didn’t end as smoothly as planned.

Though we did try to take up some of that extra time post-sharing by asking formative reflection questions like, “How did it feel to use these strategies?” aloud to the whole class, these reflection questions shouldn’t have been an afterthought.

Our main assessment was taking their drafts home to read and give feedback, but it would be helpful to have written evidence of what else they took away from the lesson. What do they think they learned today? Have they used these strategies before? Where else do they think they could apply these strategies?

It seems that if we want students to be reflective learners, able to make connections between what they know and don’t know, and willing to do something to build upon their strengths and weaknesses, then we need to teach them how to do it. We need to start by giving them structures, questions, and space to do so – frequently and immediately.

When I think back to the mad rush of reflections I wrote for my high school graduation portfolio, they were empty. I had completed the artifacts years ago, I couldn’t make improvements if I wanted to, and I didn’t see the point.

This is not to say that all long-term reflection is meaningless.
 
Rather, practice with frequent and immediate reflection makes long-term reflection more meaningful.

I used exit slips for the first time in MLED 330 and by the time SED 407 rolled around, I found myself asking “What? So what? Now what?” even outside the context of my own academics.  I think the frequency and immediacy of reflection in those classes led me to engage more genuinely in reflection and take ownership of the process. If I didn’t understand something from class, I had a safe space to admit it. My questions and concerns could be addressed right away. Or if I felt strongly about something in class, I could capture that energy in my writing.  

I think these reflective habits empower learners, whether in 6th grade, 12th grade, or a semester away from student teaching. If we don’t make time to ask/answer these important questions, how do we know what we know? How do we know what we need to improve?

1 comment:

  1. Brit--I mean- Ms. Richer, I really love how you articulated our dilemma from Observation Day. Despite our meticulous planning, we still had to be quick thinkers and flexible to changes. The more I reflect on it, the more I realize how much more challenging this can be when co-teaching. When I'm the only teacher, I can make a decision in my head and then go with it, but in our case we had to consult we each other first. Luckily, we somehow have an ability to read each other's minds so it managed to work out for us in the end.

    I also like that you discuss the importance of reflecting. This is probably what I like best about co-teaching.. we can reflect out loud and support one another in coming to conclusions about what needs to be improved upon and what we each did well. I think you said it best, "practice with frequent and immediate reflection makes long-term reflection more meaningful."

    We've gotten good at it.. so let's make sure our students get to as well!

    ReplyDelete