Saturday, October 19, 2013

Student Misconceptions

As I’ve mentioned in some of my recent posts, we are currently working on an informational text unit with the Salem Witch Trials. Though my main focus is teaching the process of understanding informational texts, the students are definitely more interested in the content of what happened in 1692. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Their curiosity keeps them engaged in the text. However, with a topic like the witch trials - a subject already fraught with myths and theories - the students’ imaginations run wild. Showing the movie Hocus Pocus as a post-NECAP team reward last Friday didn’t really help the situation. Though I hadn’t watched the movie myself, one team teacher suggested it and the rest thought it would be fine, so I figured it would be fine too . . .

Let’s just say I wasn’t the biggest fan of Sarah Jessica Parker’s “out-there” performance and the premise that the black candle had to be lit by a virgin. Really? I shuddered each time she appeared or a character spoke that word.

As I was watching it, I knew that the movie might unravel the knowledge of the trials that was building in my class. I wanted to get ahead of the impending questions about flying on vacuums, eternal life potions, and talking cats. I decided to use the ridiculousness of the movie as a teachable moment. On Monday, my warm-up was for the students to make a list of at least five myths about witches that were used in the movie and explain their purpose.

It worked like a charm. The conversation in each class varied, but we talked about stereotypes and how often the truth is skewed or exploited for entertainment. It’s definitely an idea we will revisit.

So although some students are beginning to become more aware of the subversive aspects of the world, some others still lack this perspective.

“But Ms. Richer, I don’t get it. Why didn’t they just use DNA tests to see if they were witches?”

Yup. Welcome to 7th grade in the year 2013. I can’t talk too much since these shows are my guilty pleasure, but in a world where brutal crimes are solved neatly in an hour tv program, how much does this question reflect today’s society?

I can’t be sure, but again, I took it as a teachable moment. I turned the question back to the class and had the student call on other classmates to clarify her misconception.

At the end of class, I thanked the student for sharing her question. As ridiculous as the question might seem, 1. she probably isn’t the only student wondering it and 2. I wouldn’t have ever imagined that to be something the students would be confused about.

As I plan my lessons, I do my best to anticipate the things that might go wrong and the things they might struggle with. However, unlike experienced teachers with historical data about different groups of students, I have very little understanding of 7th graders developmentally, academically, socially, etc. This can often be a disadvantage because I am faced with so many new situations to make decisions about every day. But I think there is another side to it as well.

I am a learner alongside my students. I know how difficult it is to ask a question that seems silly. I know how it feels to try something even though you don’t feel totally comfortable with it. I know how it feels to want someone else to just tell you what to do rather than to figure it out yourself. Being at a loss for answers totally stinks.

Not having questions is worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment