Sunday, September 28, 2014

Building Blocks to Inequality

What sticks out to me from the Rethinking Schools website is all of the ways that you can be a social justice educator...

I was originally inspired by the resources I found for a book called, The Line Between Us by Bob Bigelow. In it, he shares context, lessons, and other support materials to teach high schoolers about the border and Mexican immigration. The materials are helpful, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to say about them.

Then, I happened to see an article called "Why We Banned Legos," by Ann Pelo and Kendra Pelojoaquin, discussing issues of power, ownership, and equity in an elementary-aged after school program. When looking for resources and ideas, I usually quickly dismiss anything tagged "elementary" out of some irrational, arbitrary bias. But for some reason, I kept reading. And I am glad I did.

In the article, the authors describe their students' love for Legos, their creation of Legotown, and the resulting political struggles. The authors explain, "Other children were eager to join the project, but as the city grew - and space and raw materials became more precious - the builders began excluding other children." The problems that we see in the "grown-up world" of classist capitalism emerged in Legotown and the after school classroom.

So when Legotown was destroyed by other students who used the classroom, the teachers took the opportunity - not to rebuild the structure - but to rebuild the students' thinking about the injustice and oppression quickly emerging.

The authors cite examples of the students' opinions of how Legotown should be and explain how "the children denied their power, framing it as benign and neutral, not something actively sought and maintained." They then launched into further (year-long) exploration of power, privilege, rules, and ownership by designing simulations and visiting a farmer's market that pushed the students' thinking.

Finally, when the Legos were reintroduced to the classroom, the students generated their own new principles for building: "collectivity is a good thing...personal expression matters...shared power is a valued goal...[and] moderation and equal access to resources are things to strive for." These led to concrete, socially-just rules for play.

I was really impressed with the outline of events that took place in this classroom from what is usually just dismissed as "child's play." As the authors concluded, "Children absorb political, social, and economic worldviews from an early age. These worldviews show up in their play, which is the terrain that young children use to make meaning about their world and test and solidify their understandings." Like the authors, I agree that we as teachers have a responsibility to pay attention to this play (and other social interactions) and use it as a guide for what we teach. Using Legos is so powerful because that's where the kids are (as Vygotsky would say, it's their zone of proximal development). When the students can learn about inequality in a world that is immediate and that they are entrenched in themselves, I think the lesson is much more likely to make an impact on their thinking and actions.

All this talk about Legos also reminded me of these two videos: Lego & Gender - Part 1 and  Part 2 discussing Lego's stereotypical attempt to market to girls and their essential "kicking out" of girls from the Lego clubhouse. Makes me go humm...

3 comments:

  1. Holy moly. I have to say, I do the same thing when I come across something written that's geared toward early/elementary education teachers. What an exceptional find. It's unbelievable that even at such a young age, the worldviews that they "absorb" show up in their play...and they have no idea. I wonder how many times, in how many classrooms, this teachable moment has passed by without even an ounce of attention....and how do we make sure that it doesn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am duly impressed at such a great topic being covered in an elementary school and how the teaching took hold of a great teachable moment. I love these types of teachable moments when teachers can really apply what is happening in the classroom and connect it to society/the world. I actually think that it is great to read articles geared toward early education because a lot of the time early education is the time when students make their first judgements about "political, social, and economic worldviews." Though we are all middle to upper schools teachers and we cannot affect what happened to our students in elementary schools but I think it is an important issue to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brittany, since about 1:30 this afternoon, I have been reading, clicking on links, and watching videos about Legos. I have gotten nothing done. My correcting is sitting on my desk waiting for tomorrow, my daughter and her friends had to make their own snack (not that they can't because their girls, but because I enjoy this) and my dog keeps running in to the dining room with his leash in his mouth, prompting me to get up and walk him. Luckily, I am done with legos for today, and I will rally to make dinner and play some chess with my girl. The article you highlighted was enlightening, and I followed it to a variety of links for more information, including the link to Reggio Emilia, Italy. I was particularly struck by the description of those students who were outside the culture of lego power, who were listed as disenfranchised, angry, discouraged and hurt. I have seen so many students, who have gotten to High School without ever being in the culture of power and heard them described with the exact same words. I was also struck by the video, and found myself wondering circularly whether Lego had a responsibility as a business to make popular toys, or to promote social responsibility and have the conversation about breaking down barriers. Would they have more success opening a market of girls if the same boxes of toys were sold in primary colored boxes? Should heartland have a police and fire station, and barbershop? Were lego's better with just colored bricks, windows, and plain looking people? This all speaks to the larger issue of culture of power, and umbrellas vs sunshine.
    Anyway, thanks for inspiring me for the afternoon, should be a lively discussion tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete