Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Movin' on Up

Hey everyone! I’ve had this blog for while now...I charted my adventures from practicum, student teaching, and my first year as a 7th grade ELA teacher in Coventry. Next up is my journey as a 6th ELA teacher in Jamestown and a 1st year grad student in the ASTL program at RIC. I’m really excited to be teaching at a small school and learning with a small cohort along the way. It is so easy to get caught up in the negativity of standardized testing, new curriculum, state mandates, and administrative expectations, so I knew being a student again was what I needed to do to stay positive and become the best teacher I can be. I know, it does sound a little crazy to add more responsibilities to my plate to stay sane, but having a community to explore with and support my growth is worth it.

When I am not planning lessons or reading student writing, you can find me running...hot or cold, rain or snow. Some days it is my thinking time, some days it is my social time, some days it is my get dressed up like a crazy person time.


I don’t always feel great with my feet pounding the pavement, but I always feel so much better after than I did before. The endorphins get me every time. Running also makes me notice. I love to collect the odd items on the street that have been trashed or left behind - like a pine cone arrow and a bow made from a stick.


The other thing that always makes me feel better after a tough day is a Soul Pancake binge. As the name suggests, they make videos that warm you from the inside, like a good, fluffy pancake. Here are a few of my favorites!



Happy reading...and watching!


1 comment: