Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Social Justice Radio!

Woah! Pumped up this morning because I listened to spoken word on my way in to school. And not just any spoken word - social justice spoken word! I mean, most spoken word does have some sort of critical/political spin, but www.radioproject.org was broadcasting the full 2 hour 2014 National Poetry Slam. I heard it on 89.3FM, but I just did a quick search and found that you can listen to it from their website...

I tuned in halfway through a poem on rethinking riots by El Siete, heard Lindsay Stone's one about the oppression trans women face, and one by Jarred Paul on the disgusting privilege that it is to be a white poet able to speak about apartheid issues without worry about "the prison state that is our country." I had goosebumps.

The themes are perfect for our class, but also so powerful to hear as a thoughtful human who cares about justice in the world.

Listen up!

1 comment:

  1. Brittany, this is awesome...thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to go check it out during my free period!

    ReplyDelete